However, when returning to Heaven, nearly nine in ten business travelers are concerned that their fellow travelers are not responsibly following COVID protocols.
The best way to do business is to turn it into a contact sport. And regular business travelers patiently and eagerly wait for their turn in the square.
A new poll published by Chubb found that 84% of business travelers worldwide say they can’t wait to travel again without fear of catching COVID. Four out of five say they personally missed business trips. A slightly larger proportion – 87% – say they miss vacation trips.
The poll entitled Time to Fly: The Impact of Covid-19 on the Present and Future of Business Travel, Views from 2,100 business travelers in four regions: North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Latin America.
However, on the return to Heaven, respondents’ biggest concern was their fellow travelers – nearly nine in ten business travelers fear that their fellow travelers were not responsibly following COVID protocols. Perhaps because of this, a majority (75%) of business travelers are willing to pay more just to keep the middle seat open. Similarly, the overwhelming majority (90%) of business travelers say they want to understand hotel security protocols prior to their stay.
With the introduction of the vaccine in many regions, HR professionals are once again focusing on strategies for getting back to work and possibly business travel.
Other important results of the survey are:
- Globally, 80% or more of business travelers believe they are missing something important when they cannot see body language or other visual cues that can only be obtained in a face-to-face meeting.
- Almost three in four business travelers (74%) say they are less effective at work due to the pandemic and severely limited travel options. Areas that have been negatively impacted include customer service and the ability to maintain relationships with customers and business partners.
- With the right precautions, respondents feel twice as likely to be out traveling for business than they are for leisure. One reason given: business is important for a living.
- A large majority of business travelers (69%) expect corporate travel budgets to be cut in a post-COVID world in order to keep costs down.
- 87% of business travelers were personally concerned about contracting Covid during the pandemic and are taking steps to protect themselves, including wearing masks and social distancing.
- A smaller proportion (74%) say they always follow government rules. Another 24% say they sometimes follow COVID restrictions. Compliance with COVID safety protocols is highest among travelers in Latin America at 87%.
Picture / Chubb