Displaced tourism workers will have another option to sign up for the government’s temporary grant when a new round of registrations begins on Tuesday, January 26, the Ministry of Tourism said on Friday.
The scholarship program aims to support unemployed Caimans affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. So far, 2,898 tourism workers have received the monthly funds.
In December, Tourism Minister Moses Kirkconnell announced the The $ 1,000 displaced person scholarship would be extended to June 2021.
As of March 2020, the government has spent $ 15.6 million on tourism grants to help affected workers.
Kirkconnell, in a statement to Parliament in December, said the government is expected to spend an additional $ 18 million on the program, which will help tourism workers who have lost their source of income after the Cayman border closes.
Tourism workers who have not yet registered for the scholarship can register at scholarship.ourcayman.ky from 9 a.m. on Tuesday, January 26 to 5 p.m. on Friday, January 29, if they have not yet registered, the ministry said.
- Caymanian, Residency and Employment Rights Certificate (RERC; married to a Caymanian), holder or permanent resident
- Worked in the tourism sector
- No longer working full time
- Didn’t apply before
“After the deadline, the review process begins. Applicants are encouraged to respond to missed calls, voicemails and emails as representatives of the Ministry and Ministry of Tourism may contact them for more information, “the statement added.
Individuals who are already receiving the scholarship should not reapply as their payments will automatically be extended to June.
Anyone with questions about the program can contact the scholarship call center during the entire registration period from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the following numbers: