- World’s largest hotel franchising company poised to power its growth trajectory across Asia-Pacific with strong opening and development pipeline.
- Wyndham successfully added 120 new hotels and signed 200 properties in 2021: signaling continued confidence in Wyndham by owners. International net room growth was 4%. Wyndham China direct franchising business led the way with double-digit net room growth.
- Wyndham continues to accelerate its presence in South East Asia with notable developments in Thailand, Vietnam, Australasia, and other strategic regional markets.
Well-positioned to emerge from the pandemic stronger than ever, Wyndham Hotels & Resorts continues to expand across Asia-Pacific with a number of recent hotel openings in 2021 and a robust line-up of new hotels planned later in 2022 to further strengthen its presence in the region.
In 2021, the world’s largest hotel franchising company with over 9,000 hotels across nearly 95 countries signed 655 hotels that will add over 82,000 rooms globally. It also grew its global development pipeline by 5 per cent from the previous year, representing 1,500 hotels and over 194,000 rooms, the largest pipeline in the company’s history.
Bolstered by robust Asia Pacific growth in 2021
In Asia Pacific, Wyndham successfully added 120 new hotels and signed 200 properties last year, with its leading position in the industry totaling over 1,600 hotels in 20 regional markets.
In great china, Wyndham further cemented its position as one of the leading international hotel operators in the country by expanding its footprint with over 100 hotel openings including additions in major top-tier cities. This includes the prominent Wyndham Garden Hangzhou Yuhanglocated in one of the key science and technology hubs in Hangzhou, and midscale Ramada by Wyndham brands in Guangzhou and Qingdao.
Additionally, to further bolster its new lifestyle brands’ presence in China, Wyndham opened 5 Wingate by Wyndham and Microtel by Wyndham hotels in popular travel destinations, namely Foshan, Guilin, Tianjin, Kunming, and Huangshan.
Wyndham continues to accelerate its presence in South East Asia where several Asian tourism hubs are shifting to an endemic stage. In Thailand, adding to its operating portfolio of 17 stunning hotels, the company celebrated four openings in the heart of the bustling capital belonging to the same owner. This includes Ramada by Wyndham Bangkok Sukhumvit 87, Ramada Plaza by Wyndham Bangkok Sukhumvit 48 that opened on 1st and 15th March 2022, and two hotels located in the heart of Bangkok’s central business district – Wyndham Bangkok Queen Convention Center other Wyndham Garden Bangkok Sukhumvit 42 opened on 1st and 15th December 2021 respectively.
in Viet Nam, Wyndham further expanded its presence by boosting its upscale hotel portfolio with the introduction of Wyndham Grand Flamingo Cat Ba. Situated in a secluded destination, the world-class resort offers breathtaking views of Lan Ha Bay.
Moving southwards to Australasia, another important strategic market of Wyndham, the company had 4 openings across several brands in Wellington, Auckland, Christchurch, and Hervey Bay. Making its debut in Wellington, the opening of Ramada by Wyndham Wellington Marked Wyndham’s first hotel in the capital of New Zealand.
“Building upon the successful year of 2021, Wyndham Hotels & Resorts continues to pave the way for continued growth with our strong opening and development pipeline. We will be debuting new brands in several strategic markets this year in a bid to capitalize on an anticipated upswing in travel in the region buoyed by strong pent-up demand as borders gradually reopen. I am extremely grateful for the wonderful team in Asia Pacific and also globally, without which we would not be where we are. I am pleased to share that our efforts and dedication were recognized by the owners in Thailand who recently opened 4 new properties.” said Joon Aun Ooi, President, Asia Pacific, Wyndham Hotels & Resorts.
Robust line-up of openings planned for 2022
Standing firm by its mission, Wyndham continues to make hotel travel possible for all with a strong line-up of offerings to welcome guests with the best experiences possible. As the region gradually relaxes its border restrictions, Wyndham is poised to meet the pent-up demand in travel with several highly anticipated openings.
“Our continued momentum in hotel openings across Asia Pacific not only reflects optimism for its recovery, but it also signals long-term confidence that our partners place in Wyndham’s globally established brands. In fact, we are making great progress towards our goal of reaching 2,000 hotels in Asia Pacific by 2025. As Asia Pacific gradually shifts to an endemic stage, we are prepared for an uptick in leisure and intra-regional travel, and Wyndham will be ready to welcome guests with a range of exceptional hotels,” added Joon Aun.
At the start of this year, Wyndham debuted China’s first La Quinta by Wyndham in the ‘City of Crafts and Folk Arts’ in Weifang, Shandong province. Situated in the birthplace of kites, the 200-room La Quinta by Wyndham Weifang South provides a plethora of offerings that is steeped in cultural heritage and natural beauty.
Some other anticipated openings and milestones later this year include:
- 8 Wyndham Gardens, spanning a range of destinations from China’s Chengdu and Lanzhou, to Thailand’s Phuket, bringing its signature ‘Travel at Ease’ and best-in-class amenities to more corners of the world.
- The accelerated expansion of Microtel by Wyndham, boosted by more than 10 hotels in China’s opening pipeline for this year, which will almost triple our Microtel by Wyndham’s existing portfolio size in China. They are strategically located in popular business and leisure destinations such as Sanya, Changsha, Weihai and Fuzhou.
Ramada by Wyndham brand continues to show strong growth momentum. 10 Ramada by Wyndham hotels are scheduled to open in popular and picturesque travel destinations in China. This includes the recently opened Ramada by Wyndham Guilin Yangshuo Resort which is surrounded by breathtaking landscapes of limestone hills.
- 7 anticipated new hotel openings in Thailand, including the 190-room Wyndham Atlas Wongamat Pattaya, a newly constructed property that is scheduled to open its doors in June 2022, representing the first Wyndham hotel in Pattaya. Wyndham plans to unveil 5 more new hotels in Pattaya this year.
- Further development in Vietnam with new Wyndham branded properties in popular leisure destinations such as Phu Quoc and Hoi An, adding to its existing hotel portfolio in Halong Bay, Nha Trang and Cam Ranh.
- The arrival of new lifestyle hotel brands in New Zealand, specifically Microtel by Wyndham and TRYP by Wyndham. Slated to open by Q4 this year, Microtel by Wyndham Wellington will mark Wyndham’s second hotel in the capital city, followed by TRYP by Wyndham Wellington.
- With 28 properties in Australia, Wyndham expects to expand its namesake brand further with its very first hotels in South Australia. The two new additions include Wyndham Wallaroo Shores Resorts and TRYP by Wyndham Pulteney Street Adelaide in Q4 to welcome the return of domestic and international tourists and augur in a new phase of growth.
Beyond offering guests a plethora of choices with its broad portfolio of brands, Wyndham will continue to invest in its award-winning Wyndham Rewards loyalty program. Globally, Wyndham Rewards now stands at over 92 million enrolled members and the program’s overall domestic share of occupancy has grown to nearly 1 out of every 2 guests.
About Wyndham Hotels & Resorts
Wyndham Hotels & Resorts (NYSE: WH) is the world’s largest hotel franchising company by the number of properties, with approximately 9,000 hotels across approximately 95 countries on six continents. Through its network of over 810,000 rooms appealing to the everyday traveler, Wyndham Commands a leading presence in the economy and midscale segments of the lodging industry.The Company operates a portfolio of 22 hotel brands, including Super 8®, Days Inn®, Ramada®, Microtel®, La Quinta®, Baymont®, Wingate®, AmericInn®, Hawthorn Suites®, Trademark Collection® and Wyndham®. Wyndham Hotels & Resorts is also a leading provider of hotel management services. The Company”s award-winning Wyndham Rewards loyalty program offers over 92 million enrolled members the opportunity to redeem points at thousands of hotels, vacation club resorts and vacation rentals globally. For more information, visit www.wyndhamhotels.com.